A Special Note About Children/Minors
Children (persons under the age of 18) are not eligible to use the System unsupervised and we ask that children do not submit any personal information to us. If you are under the age of 18, you may only use the System in conjunction with and under the supervision of your parents or guardians. We will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18 without requesting parental consent.
How We Collect Information About You; Information We Collect
We collect personal information about you in a number of ways.
- Application and registration information.
We collect information from you when you open an account or enroll in one of our services. You will also be asked for information when you choose to participate in an AutoTec promotion. We may also collect information from consumer reporting agencies to verify your identity in the account-opening process. The information we collect may include your name, address, phone number, email address, government-issued personal ID number, and date of birth, as well as details about the companies you are affiliated with.
- Transaction and experience information.
Once you have opened an account with us, we collect and maintain updated information about your vehicle remarketing activity, including but not limited to bank information, licenses, etc. This information allows us to administer your account and provide services to our remarketing customers where you wish to do business.
- Third-party information providers.
We may collect information about you and your business from information services, auction insurers, and consumer reporting agencies to verify your identity, employment or creditworthiness.
- Usage tracking.
We collect user traffic patterns throughout all of our sites to gather information such as what pages are viewed, how long a visitor stays on a page, etc. However, we do not correlate this information with data about individual users.
How We Share Information About You
Many individuals utilizing AuctionACCESS do business with more than one of AutoTec’s subscribing customers and/or AutoTec’s affiliated companies (« Customers »). Subscribing customers are not limited to businesses engaged in the automobile dealer or auction industries, but may also include other businesses providing goods or services to such industries. AutoTec may share information we collect about you with Customers to:
- help provide you with better service or perform services on your behalf;
- respond to communications from you or as you authorize or request;
- make it more convenient for you to do business with Customers;
- allow Customers to provide you with information about their products and services that we believe may benefit or interest you;
- help Customers provide you better service.
We provide access to information about you to outside companies and other third parties in certain limited circumstances, including:
- to help us verify information on your account;
- when we use another company to provide services for us, such as printing and mailing services;
- when we believe that disclosure is required or permitted under law. For example, we may be required to disclose personal information to cooperate with regulatory or law enforcement authorities, to perform credit/authentication checks, or for risk control.
When you use or access the System, our computer may use devices known as « cookies », graphic interchange format files (GIFs), or other similar Web tools to enhance your Web experience. These tools enable us to recognize you when you return to our websites and to maintain your Web session while you access the System, as well as help us provide you with a better, more personalized experience. Cookies do not, standing alone, identify you as an individual by name or account number; they merely recognize your browser.
Links to Other Websites
Safeguarding Your Information, Maintaining Your Trust
We take the following precautions to ensure that the information we collect about you is protected:
- Only authorized individuals or organizations are able to access your information.
- We utilize client identification and authentication procedures before initiating transactions.
- We have created a secure transmission connection to the System. You will see the padlock in your browser’s frame indicating that any information you enter is secure during transmission.
- Our employees are trained to safeguard personal information about you.
- AutoTec will never request or disclose your personal information (account number, Login password, government-issued personal ID number) in either a non-secure or unsolicited email communication.
From time-to-time, AutoTec will employ additional and/or different software or procedures to address internet security.
Greater Accuracy Means Better Protection
We are committed to keeping accurate, up-to-date records to help ensure the integrity of the information we maintain about you. If you identify an inaccuracy in this information, or you need to make a change to it, please update it via the System or contact us promptly by calling 205-414-2739.
Browsers and Internet Security
Any time you enter an order or provide personal information such as an account number or password), we encrypt it using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. SSL protects information as it crosses the Internet. To support this technology, you need an SSL-capable browser such as the latest versions of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer or Mozilla’s Firefox . These browsers will activate SSL automatically whenever you sign in to your AutoTec account.
You can tell if you are visiting a secure area within a website by looking at the symbol on your browser screen. If you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer, you will see either a lock or a key. When the symbol appears unbroken or the padlock is in the locked position, your session connection is taking place via a secure server.
If you need a strong encryption browser, you can go to the Mozilla Web site or the Microsoft Web site to download the latest Firefox or Internet Explorer browser. We do not recommend the use of beta browser versions.
How You Can Protect Your Identity and Accounts
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, Social Security number, credit card number or other identifying information, without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes. Identity theft is a serious concern. Here are few steps to remember in order to protect your identity and accounts.
- If you get an email that warns you, with little or no notice, that an account of yours will be shut down unless you reconfirm your billing information, do not reply or click on the link in the email.
- Protect and keep confidential your User ID and Password. You are responsible for all actions taken with and under these. If you think either of these has been stolen or compromised, please report the same to us promptly by calling 205-414-2739.
- Shred financial documents that contain your personal information before you discard.
- Check your credit report regularly to make sure no unauthorized activity has occurred.
- Protect your personal information (such as your PIN, Social Security number, date of birth, etc.). Do not give it out to any person or company or in an email unless you are familiar with them and you have initiated your communication with them.
- Don’t carry unneeded credit cards, your Social Security card, your birth certificate or other personal documents in your purse or wallet.
- Monitor all your bank statements from every credit card every month. Check to see if there is anything that you do not recognize and call the credit grantor to verify that it is truly yours.
It is also important to protect your computer at home. Here are a few best practices to follow:
- Use and update anti-virus software that will not only protect your machine from malicious viruses, but also helps to protect the networks to which you connect.
- Use a firewall to protect the data on your computer from users entering your computer.
- Do not re-use passwords for sensitive systems.
Again, the protection of your account and personal information is very important to AutoTec.